"Promise to yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To be too wise for worry, too tolerant for anger, and too courageous for fear. To be happy." - Author Unknown -

Friday, March 03, 2006

Bench Training 3/3/06

Decided against going for a max triple and went right into my 4x6 pause bench training. I missed the 6th rep on my second set by 1 inch on my right arm. I didn't rest long enough for that set. Came back to crush the third set. I'm confident for 4x6 with 315. My pauses were so easy tonight. Each rep was held for a three count on the chest. All my back work is paying off pluss I'm getting much better at my leg drive. Switched to JM press from nosebreakers to save the elbows a bit, LOL, and they felt real good. I think this is one exercise that needs a lot of sets to get into the groove. Everything else was pretty standard.

Pause Bench 315x1/345x1/365x1/315x6,5,6,5
JM Press 135x5x6/155x6
Standing Hammer Curls 80x4x8
Seated Row 285x2x8/300x2x8

3 Comments:

Blogger Alberto said...

Does a 3-second pause help your bench press more from the bottom or are you training with the rules of your fed? That is some serious control!

9:48 PM

 
Blogger John said...

I think it's better to train with a longer pause than neccessary just because it will make you stronger when you actually do compete.
I like to have my spotter call out "One-two-press!"
The rules of all the feds regarding the length of the pause are the same : until the bar is motionless.
In the 2 meets I did, however, I saw a lot of touch-and-go and sink-and-heaves passed.
Generally, the faster you lower the bar the shorter pause is required to make the bar appear motionless.
Too bad I lower the bar slowly!
Just as a side note, Mike MacDonald used to train with the cambered bar using a five (!) second pause...

6:13 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Many will think this is crazy but pause benching makes me slow out of the bottom but strengthens my triceps from the bottom to the top very well. Since I have no problems blasting the weight out of the bottom, I've always done a lot of 3 second pause benching.

6:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home