"Promise to yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To be too wise for worry, too tolerant for anger, and too courageous for fear. To be happy." - Author Unknown -

Monday, December 26, 2005

Bench Press Training 12/26/05

Great workout toaday. Started with an easy near max at 345 for my skill and neuromuscular training. From there it was off to my 5x3. My speed is starting to lack somewhat so for the 315 I paused the first and last reps and for all the other sets I paused the first OR last rep. From there I did wide and narrow grip benching using a 34 and 22 inch grip and pausing the last rep. I feel it is important to note that when I pause I actually hold the weight with the tension and support of my muscles, barely letting it touch my chest. This keeps me tight and once you get use to it you also get a more efficent drive off your chest. As usual my support work is done as heavy and fast as possible.

Bench press 345x1/315x3x3/335x3/345x3
Wide & Narrow Grip Bench 225x3x10
Hammer Curls 75x2x8/80x2x8
Seated Rows 260x8/280x8/300x8/320x8
Shoulder Horn 5x2x20
Face Pulls 100x8/120x2x8/140x8

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting idea, starting with a heavy single. What's the rationale behind it?

10:38 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

In a nutshell it has to do with your bodys' motor recruitment patterns, both physical and mental. Your body and your mind react differently to a 3-5 pound difference in weight. Example being your bodys' motor recruitment pattern is different for 455 than 450. Doing sets of 8 will do wonders for hypertrophy but very little for maximum output and neuro patterns that need to be established for maximum strength. That's the short version, lol.

1:08 PM

 
Blogger John said...

I like that concept, Mike... similar to something the great Doug Hepburn used to do.
Great workout as usual.

6:13 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Slightly off topic Mike - you made some interesting comments on diet over at John M's site. What's your regular diet like?

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Right now I focus on properly digesting as much of the fuel that I put in my body. This is done by eating 25-35 grams of fiber a day, eating plenty of foods with live cultures ie., goats milk, raw honey, yogurt. As well as eating grassland feed beef and other organic meats. So far it is working real well. If you need more details drop me an email with your questions and I'll hook you up.

11:53 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Mike. No specific questions at the moment - I've just realised lately that although I eat fairly healthy foods, I could be getting a lot more out of them by keeping an eye on the timing of meals (particularly pre- and post-workout). I'm always impressed when I come across someone with both a solid strength base and a good diet.

3:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home