"Promise to yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To be too wise for worry, too tolerant for anger, and too courageous for fear. To be happy." - Author Unknown -

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Squat/Deadlift Training 01/03/05

I forgot my camera tonight and boy was I upset about it. The 475 was a joke! Although I did add loose knee wraps I still believe I could've done 6 or 8 reps with it. Tonight was also the first night I began using the hook grip for my deadlifts. It felt good and a gradual breakin should allow for not to sore thumbs, LOL. This is the second time I've taken off 14 days between squat/deadlift workouts and had a great workout, this is a sign. Everything else was just standard issue.

Squat 475x5
Speed Deadlift off Plates 315x8x2 45 secs. rest
Front Squat(light) 225x2x5
Shrugs 345x4x20/225x30
Standing One Leg Calf Raise BW+20x4x12

6 Comments:

Blogger Christian D. said...

Interesting comment about taking 14 days off and then having a kick ass workout when you came back. Something to remember.

6:34 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks Jon. It always seems like the longer I rest the better I do.
Not once Christian, but twice! Something to definitly remember.

8:23 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to see someone finally getting their money's worth with the hook grip. It's definitely an acquired taste :)

1:51 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

To be honest, the squat and deadlift are easy for me to gain on. After I squatted 650 and deadlift 635, I went all the way up to 705 and 675 in 2 1/2 months doing nothing but squatting and deadlifting. So these lifts are the easiest for me to improve on. That's also one of the reasons I specialized on the bench b/c I use to be so poor at it. In my first ever meet, an USAPL armed forces Europe championship qualifier, I squatted 500, deadlifted 550, and benched 275 at 198! Too funny.

6:19 AM

 
Blogger John said...

You are well on your way to your goals of a 600+ squat and deadlift, Mike.
You are right about learning from lifting and seeing what works for you.
It's possible you have a high 'learning curve' in the squat and deadlift and do not need to train them as much as someone else.
Funny about the USAPL meet, your bench has definitely come a long way. Do you attribute that to the Blakely program?

11:18 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

My bench being where it is is a byproduct of many things. That's part of the problem is, unlike the squat and deadlift, I have been unable to find a bench program to stick with. The 2 longest programs I've tried were Blakleys' and my own. When I was 300+ my shoulders smoked Blakleys' program but now I just can't recover from it. Looking back over past journals I see that I've done very well with singles and sets of 6 as well as including inclines, cloes grip, and 2 board presses. We'll see how everything goes.

7:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home