"Promise to yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To be too wise for worry, too tolerant for anger, and too courageous for fear. To be happy." - Author Unknown -

Monday, September 25, 2006

Overtrained

I am in the gutter right now. My body is beat down and tired. I've lost a lot of training motivation some because of injuries but mostly b/c I'm always feeling tired and worn down. This may have to do with my shift change, working midnight-8 but I get more sleep now than I did before. I feel I peaked strongly with my 560x3, which on that day I could've done 5 reps. My deadlift is b/c I went too heavy this cycle. I peaked that with my 560x5 but was overtrained long before that. Bench felt real light today and I feel my lack of support work is what hurt this area the most. A 10 pound gain in each lift after a 14 week cycle is unacceptable at my level of strength. So here is my question to everyone, I only train twice a week with one top set so how is it possible I'm overtraining??

5 Comments:

Blogger Powerlifter1974 said...

That sucks dude!!! I am willing to bet that the shift change has alot to do with it. Even with more sleep your body has to adapt to the new hours, sleeping during daylight hours, being awake during the dark hours etc... couple that with some heavy ass lifting and i think you have your answer. Since backing off on the job is mostly not your answer, i would say find a way to scale back on the intensity of your workouts but not so much as to regress, basically find your optimal window of training until your body catches up to the new hours....Also, hows the nutrition looking? how long have you been on this shift? is it permanent?

7:38 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree - the change in sleep times can really knock you around a bit (as I'm finding out myself right now). It may be worth just doing something different workout-wise until your body feels back on track.

12:09 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks fellas. The change is permanent so that is somewhat of a good thing b/c my shift won't be bouncing around. My nutrition is slowly improving, as that is also a factor Chris. It was hard at first to eat a big meal at 3am but is becoming better now. I still wake up during the day hungry though. I've been on this shift for 2 months now.

3:33 PM

 
Blogger Powerlifter1974 said...

good luck with it and give it time, i am sure you will adjust....how long until your next meet?

6:15 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

After this one, I got invited to a bench competition in December which I won't peak for but will hit 455 or so raw in the 275s. I've worked out some details of my program and will put them up as soon as everything is together. I'll either squat and deadlift every other week or alternat weeks for training them. Either way I'll get 2 workouts a piece in per month.

5:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home