"Promise to yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. To be too wise for worry, too tolerant for anger, and too courageous for fear. To be happy." - Author Unknown -

Monday, June 05, 2006

Getting closer to a peak...

Squat 135x2/225x1/315x1/405x1/495x1/545x2(had 3-4 in me)
Pause Bench 135x3/225x1/315x1/365x1/395x2(had 3 in me)
Barbell Throatcrusher 95x12/115x12/135x12(all very slow and controlled.)
Seated Hammer Curl 60x3x12

These will be my openers for the meet. The bench was done without a liftoff so I know a triple is possible. The squats were real strong and deep. On the first rep I was a good 2 inches below parallel so on the second rep I buried it and was about 3 inches off the floor! Wanted to do the triceps today to help recovery for the benchinf next week and also did hammers today b/c I was still a little sore last week in the brachialis when doing my deadlifts and back work. Will do calf raises on Thursday as this workout was pushing 90 minutes.

3 Comments:

Blogger lscrewy said...

Are you still at 242? I have no idea what a throat crusher is! What extra movements do you think are most important for improving your bench. I think it's
1. Bench
2. Tri extentions-overhead or nosebreakers--close grip bench
3. Lat pull downs
Is there anything i'm missing?
My long term goal is to one day bench 400. I'm a long way off, but think I can do it if I put a lot of work in.
When is your meet again? I have one coming up July 15th in NJ.
Later
Lou

9:28 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

My meet is in June 25th. Right now I weigh 255.

5:06 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Depends on how much your benching. I truly believe that triceps, rear delts, and lats are the most important muscle groups to train. I don't think overhead presses will help your bench much but I do them once in a while. So me exercises I would choose would be: triples off the 2 board, Tri extensions to nose or throat, LOTS of close grip bench, reverse pec dec, chest supported row or seated row. Those would be a good start. Throatcrushers are tri extensions to the throat. A little easier on the elbows plus I can hold my triceps tight against my sides when doing them.

5:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home